Tuesday, June 16, 2009

We Dare You Challenge

This weeks challenge from Scrappit was to centre your page around a date. Not one date stuck out in my mind but more a day. Every Sunday, after Dad purchased the boat, we would head off to Coochy or Jacobs Well to do some fishing. I've added the extract from my journaling in case your interested.


Dad bought a boat and we would all go out on a Sunday. I hated being woken before dawn to go fishing but once we were on the road I didn’t mind. On the drive to launch the boat at Victoria Point boat ramp we drove through Capalaba and as the sun was rising I remember thinking I was seeing little men working in the trees as the sun shone through them creating shapes. It’s funny how no one else seemed to see these men.

Fishing was always fun. Putting the squirmy worm or prawn on the hook and tossing your line in the water. I remember always being the first to catch something but needing Dad to take the fish off the hook. Mum always made egg and lettuce sandwiches to take for lunch. The mixture of bait, sea water to wash your hands and sandwiches that had been make hours before was always a good combination. Everyone was always tuckered out on the way home but everyone had to help unload and wash the boat down when we got back home. I must admit I would always say I needed to go to the toilet and stay in the bathroom until everything was done. Maybe Mum and Dad knew this but I can never remember getting in trouble for it though. One of the strangest things I can remember was Dad catching eels. He would bring them home and keep them alive in the concrete tubs in the laundry until they were ready for eating. I don’t seem to remember what they tasted like though.




No comments:

Post a Comment